Re-Boot

Posted by Ebun | Posted in | Posted on 1:54 AM





I created this blog to represent everything that's "me" Over time it has become saturated with my t-shirt and mostly my design work, which is fine, but there's more to me than that.

I'm into fashion/style and have liked shoes ever since I was a little kid. As one grows and matures, so does your style and the things you wear reflect that maturity. Lately, I've been wearing a lot of suede bucks, desert boots, loafers and boots. This post is about the "boot" and the ones I am fortunate to own.

Earlier today, I went home to NJ to pick up a package that has been waiting for me for almost two weeks now. I ordered the grey RL Rangers from davidz.com and upon putting them in my closet, I realized I have quite a few pairs of boots. I only documented the three "tallest" ones in this post.

The Calvin Klein Caribou was an impulse buy that I do not regret one bit (my birthday present to myself). It was half the retail price and it's a very stylish boot. This is the decepticon boot and what I mean by that is the way I wear it (with my pants covering the boot) can be deceptive. A quick glance and you'd think I'm wearing a pair of cap-toe oxfords. However, if I were to raise my pant leg, you would be met with 8" of beautiful brown leather
split down the middle with a very cleverly placed zipper that makes the boot a breeze to pull on or off. My only gripe with this boot is that it isn't the best thing to walk in. It's actually quite uncomfortable, but sometimes that's the price of good style.
The Tommy Hilfiger Barstow. This boot was given to me as a birthday gift about a month ago. I like this boot because it is rugged. Most people say it's "ugly" and quite frankly I think they mean to say it isn't sleek or it doesn't have a svelte profile. This boot isn't made for style. It is made for function. The Caribou won't hold up well in the rain or in the snow (you shouldn't even be wearing it in such conditions anyway). The Barstow is definitely my go-to boot for the blistering cold weather.

Another reason I fancy this boot is because it stands in stark contrast to the ubiquitous Polo Holden boots. The Holden's are rugged, no doubt about that, but the Barstow, to me at least, are better crafted and there is an attention to detail (see the buttery-tan leather on the green canvas vs. the brown upper) that I'm yet to see on a boot of that stature. Plus it folds down to half it's height, which is nice.
Polo Rangers. It's almost pointless to talk about this boot or sing its praises because, well, it is THE boot of the moment. A while back on Twitter, I posted something to the effect of "you can keep your Ranger boots, give me a pair of Tommy Barstows" and then I saw the gray rangers... Granted, it was a very impulsive buy and when I showed my mother she was like "oh wow, those are nice" and then when I told her how much they cost, she said "return them immediately!" in an African accent, of course. This boot is the middle ground between the sleek profile of the Calvin Klein Caribou and the ruggedness of the Tommy Barstow. It is fairly comfortable and very stylish, however the charcoal grey color makes it a tough shoe to dress up properly in my opinion. Not for me persay, but it's not your typical black or brown boot that you are comfortable with. The fact that there's also a lot of real estate (meaning a lot of shoe especially if you tuck your pants in 'em) makes it tricky. My suggestion? Keep the color palette neutral maybe with a touch of something bright to take some attention off your boots. Because people will be staring in envy.

Hope u enjoyed my "review" of the boots. This isn't meant to show off my boots or anything because there are people with far better selections of shoes/boots out there. Just thought I'd give you guys a glimpse into what makes me wear the things I do etc...

Comments (1)

nice article...very impressive..keep up the good work!